Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Immigration Interview

Interview of Michel Lekika completed 9/30/15 for the immigrant experience project:  Challenges faced by immigrants.

Q:  What country are you originally from and why did you leave that country?

A:  I am from Gabon. In particular, I'm from the south from a village called M'bigou. I left because I met a beautiful woman named, Rebecca. She is American and I decided to leave Gabon.

Q:  Please describe your original country.

A:  Gabon is a French colony. They speak many tribal languages but the national language is French. I speak Nzebi which is spoken in the south. We have 1.5 million people. We have many natural resources. It is a small country in Africa. We have never had a civil war.

Q:  How did you prepare for your trip here?

A:  Well, when I found out that I would be coming to United States, I went to start my passport. It takes about a year to get a passport. I also got a visa at the same time. I got a plane ticket and I came to United States. 

Q:  What was your first impression of the United States? Has this initial impression changed over time?

A:  It was an amazing experience. I came from a small village. The language, culture, society, everything was different. It was really hard, really different. But, I made my decision to stay so I made the best I could.

America is a beautiful country. There a lot of opportunities. I was able to come and go back to school. I got many diplomas and had wonderful children. It is a good country compared to many countries in the world.

Q:  What are some of the differences/similarities you've noticed in the cultures here and in your home country?

A:  It is totally different. It is difficult to compare because the food, language, and culture is very different. The way people relate is very different.

Q:  How were you treated when you first arrived in the United States? How are you treated now?

A:  When I first came, I couldn't speak English very well. Before I came, I thought everything was perfect in United States. When you're new you see only positive. But, when you've been here a while, you can see the positive and the negative things. But, it's still a good country.

Q:  Were your expectations of America met? Was your idea of America the same as the reality?

A:  No, not really. When I was in Africa, I heard that things are easy to get in America. That money would be easy to get but it's not easy. When I got here, I realized that it is very difficult here. Things aren't perfect but it's good. You must work hard.

Q:  How long did it take you to learn English?

A:  After 3-4 months you can understand but really it took about a year to learn. Learning from friends was the best way to learn. Learning English in school was not easy.

Q:  Who taught you to drive?

A:  My wife.

Michel Lekika becoming a US citizen!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this interview. I love the photos! I think Michel was very brave to leave his homeland and come to this country. I am so glad he did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he came, too! Otherwise, I wouldn't be the same person. MIA

      Delete
  2. I'm glad he came, too! Otherwise, I wouldn't be the same person. MIA

    ReplyDelete